Tuesday, January 27, 2009

PMS - Part Three

Parked Motorcycle Syndrome. Yes, I’ve found another outlet. Last week, I returned from a ski trip in Winter Park, Colorado. Believe it or not, it was warmer at the top of the mountain than in Chicago (my home town). We had three beautiful days of skiing. Sunny and moderate temperatures. I would have taken more snow, but I’m really not complaining.

Seeing that I mostly skied, ate and slept, there were two highlights of the trip. The first highlight was dinner at the Ranch House Restaurant at Devil’s Thumb Ranch. They serve only fresh, organic fare prepared from scratch. This is one of the best meals I’ve had in a long while. Compliments of the chef, we each started with potato leek soup and fried oysters. I had the tilefish with mashed potatoes. For dessert, I shared the most amazing bread pudding with my friend and college roommate, Teri. Here is a picture of her skiing for the first time in many years.

The second highlight was having Bob Barnes, the Director of Winter Park’s Ski and Ride Program, as my ski instructor. Arlyne (who I took my Basic Rider MSF class with) and I took an all day group lesson learning to ski moguls in the annual Mary Jane Bump Jamboree. We felt blessed to have Bob as our instructor. (See Arlyne and I smiling ear to ear with him in this pic?) Ski Magazine calls Bob the “mogul master” and “bump guru”. I understand why. I learned so much from him in one day. As an example, I had an “a-ha” moment when Bob had us do a simple exercise. I realized immediately that my right turns are way more dominant than my left – the source of many a problems on the slopes. Hey once you identify a problem, you can start to fix it.

Do you know what makes Bob even cooler? He races motocross for Elite Motorsports in Loveland, Colorado and founded the High Altitude Sportriders Club and track. In his age category (50+), he often places. I imagine he is somewhat of a legend in the Colorado Rockies…

1 comment:

Kelly Polark said...

Bob's the man!
Cool pics!